Purdue is the Wake Forest of the Big Ten. It’s true. They went 1-11 in 2013 and 3-9 in 2014. So why should we be worried? Because they need this win really badly. Darrell Hazell is trying to save his job and you know he’s going to pull out all stops to get a big win at home over a name team in Virginia Tech.
Why Purdue will win…
- A good running game against inconsistent linebacker play by the Hokies. Specifically, a running QB which seems to always give VT fits.
- Strong secondary play with two senior cornerbacks against Brenden Motley who will be making his first career road start.
- VT collectively not taking this game seriously and not being ready to play.
Why VT will win…
- Bud Foster can always scheme around a young, inexperienced MLB.
- Austin Appleby is the type of interception-prone QB that Bud Foster’s defenses feast on.
- VT will establish the outside run and will make life easy on Brenden Motley.
This is a really tough game to pick. I think you’ll see some jitters from the Hokies in their first road game of the season. We honestly don’t know who the real Hokies are after a really tough game against the unanimous #1 team in the country and an easy win over an FCS cupcake. I think Saturday is the Hokies first true test. We’ll learn a lot about this team this week. I’m going to go with the Hokies by a narrow margin. If the Hokies come ready to play, they can win by double digits but ultimately I think they make enough mistakes to keep this game close.
Prediction: Virginia Tech 24, Purdue 17